Part-Time Youth Minister
Part-Time Youth Minister
Zion United Methodist Church
1521 Old Fish Rd.
Monroe, NC 28110
Youth Minister Job Description
Duties and responsibilities:
The primary responsibility of the Youth Minister is to discipline youth in spiritual growth and to train them in serving Christ with their lives.
Part-time position 15 hours per week.
Youth Minister at ZUMC will develop and implement the youth ministries of the church (middle/high school youth). The youth minister should display a positive attitude and encourage spiritual growth and development amongst the youth and the congregation at large.
• Attend youth meetings, worship services, facilitate Sunday school, and devote adequate time for planning such activities.
• Provide leadership in developing and implementing plans to engage the youth group with school activities and community events.
• Plan and implement special activities such as mission trips, retreats, participation with CCYM UMC (conference council on youth ministry), and community events. (Example- Carolina Cross Connection, Lake Junaluska Winter Retreat).
• Devise strategies to keep youth interested and engaged in church activities and to help youth understand how to become an integral part of ZUMC (for example, working chicken n’ dumplings dinner).
• Coordinate communications for the youth ministry with the congregation and the community using the ZUMC website and social media platforms.
• Coordinate volunteers to assist with youth activities from the whole congregation and not just the parents of youth as needed.
• Meet quarterly with the youth team and participate in Nurture Team as it pertains to youth activities and needs.
• Ability to communicate with people of all ages.
• Communicate personal needs with Pastor and/or SPRCC.
Skills and Attributes
• Love Jesus Christ and be able to express his/her faith to youth
• Knows the youth and works to develop a Christian friendship with each young person
• Ability to coach and challenge youth as they explore and grow in their faith through shared experiences including retreats, and missions.
• Is an enthusiastic, high energy, self-starter, encourager, and team player
• Seeks guidance when he/she is uncertain as to how to manage situations within the church family
1. Experience working with youth.
2. Undergraduate degree with an emphasis on Theology, Christian Education, or Youth Ministry.
3. Ability and willingness to affirm and teach Wesleyan theology, especially as it concerns God’s grace, the acceptance of different ways of understanding and living out faith in Jesus Christ, and the primacy of scripture as interpreted through the Holy Spirit and guided by reason, tradition (church teaching), and experience. Applicants will be asked to submit a statement of their faith.
The youth minister position is under the direct supervision of the Pastor. All personnel decisions are the responsibility of the Staff Parish Relations Committee
Contact: Norma Villagrana
Church/Org/Business Name: Zion UMC
Address: 1521 Old Fish Rd 1521 Old Fish Rd Monroe NC 28110